I’ve been hearing about covering tofu with cornmeal for a while now. I was interested in trying it out, so here it is:
Cornmeal Crusted Tofu (adapted from the recipe on Oprah’s website)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- A dash of dried parsley
- A dash of salt
- Tofu, cut into ¼ in thick slices
- 1tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Wash and dry the tofu. Cover with paper towels and place on a plate. Cover it with another plate and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow it to drain as much as possible. Slice it into portions.
- In a small bowl/plate, combine the cornmeal, parsley, salt, and sugar. Spread out in a thin layer. Once the tofu is finished draining water, coat each piece on all sides with the cornmeal mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sesame oil. Heat a skillet to medium. Drizzle the skillet with the sauce, turning the skillet to coat evenly.
- Add the tofu to the skillet, turning once. Cook for about 3 minutes per side or until tofu is warm throughout and cornmeal has crusted over. Note: It will be crunchy on the exterior and soft in the interior.