There’s nothing more soothing to an upset stomach or common cold than homemade chicken soup. My family is from Nicaragua, and many homemade chicken soups from Nicaragua use this thing called “naranja agria” as a flavoring, which I absolutely can’t stand. I prefer a lighter chicken soup without a sour taste, so I picked up some bouillon cubes. Unfortunately, they contain a lot of sodium, but the taste is exceptional.
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 6 thinly-sliced chicken breasts, uncooked and cut into small strips
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 5 stalks celery, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 white onion, sliced in half
- 1/8 tsp. black peppercorns
- 10 red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced in half
- Parsley and basil flakes
- 10 cups water
Bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add the cubes and stir until they have dissolved. Add the chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic cloves, peppercorns, and parsley and basil flakes. Boil on medium for 45 minutes. Continue to simmer until ready to eat.