We usually buy a dish called “Bean City” at our local Dorothy Lane market, where you can find everything from freshly-baked “Killer Brownies” to beer to amazing seafood. I tried recreating it at home and gathered ideas from various recipes. Here is my own version of “Bean City” using a vinaigrette recipe from Simply Recipes:
- 1 can of beans (three different kinds in one–black beans, navy beans, kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped finely
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 T dried parsley
- a dash of dried rosemary
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 T olive oil (I used about 2.5)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
In a bowl, combine the beans, celery, onion, and herbs. In a separate bowl, make the vinaigrette: whisk together the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss the vinaigrette with the beans.
Note: To cut down on the pungent smell of the onions, soak them in 1/2 cup of water for a few minutes, then drain and combine with the rest of the ingredients.