This soup is delicious. I’ve made it twice so far, and I’m obsessed. Martha Stewart’s soup recipes can always be counted on! I usually split the recipe in half, which yields 3 servings.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (I use 2 T when I split it in half)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (I use half)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use 2 T)
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use 2)
- 1 cup water (I use 1/2)
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets, chopped (I use about 4 cups; a small head of broccoli)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (I use 2 T)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and water, stirring. Bring to a boil and reduce to low. Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is the consistency you want.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and stir. Serve!
- Note: This recipe calls for seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, but I find it does not need it.
Dairy-free Broccoli Soup
I prefer this recipe instead!
- 1 3/4 cup sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T flour
- 1 head broccoli (about 3 large stalks)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and toss to combine.
- Add the broccoli chunks, chicken broth, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until broccoli is soft.
- Blend with an immersion blender. Add 2 T cashew cream if you want it thicker.