For our Mother’s Day celebration this year we made a delicious recipe courtesy of Buzzfeed. Get a large pasta pot for this if you’re going to double the size! I’ve included the doubled ingredients.
- 3 red onions (2 will be thinly sliced, 1 will be diced)
- 4 T olive oil, divided in half
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 cups long grain rice (we used Basmati)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, for serving
- 2 lemons, for serving
- Make the caramelized onions: Heat 2 T olive oil in a large skillet on low heat. Add the onion slices, stirring for about 30 minutes, until they are caramelized and brown.
- In a large pot, saute the diced onion and garlic in 2 T olive oil until soft and translucent. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add 7 cups of water, salt, and the lentils to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaves to the pot. Stir well and replace the lid. Cook covered on low for 15 minutes, or until rice is soft and cooked through.
- Fluff the lentil-rice mixture and serve topped with the caramelized onion slices and lemon slices. Top with parsley.