This recipe comes from page 95 of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. Since everything from that cookbook is delicious, this probably will be too.
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped slivered or sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup honey or maple flavored syrup
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds, and wheat germ. Stir together the honey and cooking oil. Stir into oat mixture. Spread evenly in a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake at 300F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 20 minutes.
Spread on a large piece of foil to cool. Break into clumps. Store in airtight container for 1 week, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Calorie count: 234 calories per serving (1/2 cup)
Variation: If you want to add fruit, after removing from oven, stir in 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, snipped pitted dates, snipped apricots, cranberries, cherries, banana slices). Makes 7 cups. Each serving is 1/2 a cup.